Single and Multiple Dental Implants
Dental implants are a permanent solution to replace teeth that are missing, badly damaged from decay, infection, gum disease or cases when the tooth has never formed. Implant treatment helps regain a full smile and function of the jaw as it once was and prevents further damage or loss to the remaining teeth.
Why should a missing tooth be replaced?
- You chew best when you have all of your teeth. As you lose teeth, your remaining teeth and jaw muscles have to work harder and are more susceptible to wear and damage. As a result of losing teeth you can have a domino effect leading to a cycle of tooth loss until all of them are gone.
- When a tooth is lost the surrounding teeth are no longer supported. This leads to movement of the surrounding teeth causing them to tilt and become elongated.
- When the teeth move, the gums and bone also change leading to sensitivity, decay, mobility and potential loss of more teeth
- If a gap is visible this can affect a person’s confidence.
- If multiple or all teeth are lost, the jaw bone that once held them no longer functions and rapidly shrinks away. As a result our lips and cheeks are not supported giving a sunken in appearance. In short losing your teeth makes you look older than you are.
- There is strong evidence that tooth loss has a link to your general health and well being. Obviously being able to chew properly is essential to proper nutrition. Malnutrition especially in the elderly is not unusual and is a direct result of lack of teeth.
- There is an established link between tooth loss and dementia.
How Do Dental Implants work?
A dental implant is a titanium screw that supports a crown. The titanium screw replaces the natural tooth root by bonding to the jaw bone.
Dental Implants look and feel very similar to natural teeth and are easily maintained just as you would you own natural teeth.
Dental implants are a versatile solution for missing teeth. They can replace a single or multiple teeth. They can also be used to stabilise loose dentures.
All-On4® is a cost effective way of treating complete tooth loss in as little as 3 days.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- They can be a fixed solution eliminating the need for dentures.
- Teeth can be replaced without needing to drill surrounding teeth as you do with conventional crown and bridge work
- For most people dental implants will work for much longer than dentures or conventional crown and bridge work.
The Dental Implant Procedure
The best way to understand how implants can help you and to find out what is involved in the treatment is to make an appointment with a dentist who is experienced with this type of treatment. Every person’s situation is different and 2 treatment plans are the same. An example of how treatment may progress is as follows:
Planning (2 or more appointments)
This is the most important stage. The biggest cause of patient dissatisfaction comes from inadequate planning. During this stage we:
- Find out what your requirements are.
- Do a thorough examination including state of the art cone beam CT scanning and digital photography.
- Give you all treatment options with advantages and risks.
- Provide simulated implant placement using Nobel Biocare DTX planning software.
- Provide accurate cost for all options.
- Answer any questions that you may have.
- We give you the time to make a final decision about what is best for you with no pressure and with no strings attached.
Implant placement (1 or 2 appointments)
Implants are placed in a minor oral surgical procedure. The degree of difficulty can vary depending on the individual circumstances but the process almost always involves minimal, to no discomfort.
It is always carried out with local anaesthetic but for very difficult cases or for patients who are anxious we can also use twilight sedation or general anaesthetic.
There can be some discomfort for a few days afterwards but that is usually controlled by simple pain medication such paracetamol or ibuprofen.
Teeth placement (2 or more appointments)
The timing for teeth placement can vary for 1 day to 6 months. For the patient it is a simple process.
Review and Maintenance
It is absolutely essential that you have regular review appointments to get the best out of your treatment. This needs to be done by a practice that has experience and training at maintaining dental implants.
The Dental Fresh Difference
- We follow protocols and use materials and components that are tried and tested by meticulous scientific evaluation.
- We only use the very best materials and components available.
- Our staff have extensive training and over 25 years experience in dental implant treatment.
- We work in conjunction with our onsite laboratory
- Dr Willey and Mr Dulieu are renowned teachers of dental implant procedures.
There is an enormous range of cost amongst dentists but there is no doubt that this is a treatment where trying to save costs caries great risk.
While we will never promise to be the cheapest, we will offer all options with their advantages and disadvantages for you to make an educated decision and we will always inform you of the costs before treatment commences but above all we will work tirelessly to make sure that you are delighted with your end result.
have a question?
Get in touch with us and our friendly team members
will answer any questions you have.